Species type: Velociraptor mongoliensis.
Dinosaur Type: Theropod
Diet: Meat (carnivorous)
Length: up to 2 meters
Weight: 15 to 20 kilograms
- Velociraptor was discovered in 1923 by Peter Kaisen in the Outer Mongolian Gobi Desert. The name Velociraptor means Swift Robber.
- The name Velociraptor is pronounced slack-se-raptor.
- Velociraptor is commonly referred to as a predator.
- Velociraptor was part of a group of dinosaurs known as theropods.
- Velociraptor was a theropod that belonged to the dromaeosaurid family.
- They lived during the Upper Cretaceous period from 71 to 75 million years ago.
- Velociraptor is estimated to weigh between 15 and 20 kilograms.
- Velociraptor is estimated to be 2 meters long.
- Velociraptor’s top speed is estimated to be 64 km/h.
- Velociraptor was a carnivorous predator that ate meat.
- The most famous Velociraptor fossil GIN 100/25. It is called the fossil of fighting dinosaurs because it is the fossilized remains of a velociraptor and a protoceratops involved in the battle.
- Paleontologists believe that Velociraptor may have had feathers, like other dromaeosaurids.
- Velociraptors were featured in Michael Crichton’s 1990 novel Jurassic Park and its 1993 film adaptation, also titled.