Caracat cat looks like a real domestic lynx. And all because it is a hybrid of a real wild caracat (steppe lynx) and a domestic cat. The name of the breed comes from two words caracal + cat = caracat. After crossing a wild and domestic cat, a unique breed was obtained. Exotic appearance, graceful gait, huge expressive eyes of a wild lynx, and at the same time, the docile and friendly character of a domestic cat. No wonder this breed has so many fans. You can fall in love with her at first sight!
- Country of origin: Russia
- Wool type: Shorthair
- Growth: up to 50 cm at the withers
- The weight: from 10 to 15 kg
- Age: Since the breed is young, it is difficult to say the life expectancy. Average age 11-18.
- hybrid and rare breed;
- the excellent physical shape, strong body, fast reaction;
- loves attention, runs wild from loneliness;
- high intelligence, well-trained;
- behavior similar to dogs.
Origin story Caracat
The breed appeared quite recently only 30 years ago, and it happened by chance. In 1998, at the Moscow Zoo, a domestic cat snuck into the enclosure of a male caracal (steppe lynx). The zoo staff decided that the lynx would perceive it as prey and that the cat would no longer survive. However, things turned out differently. The cat endured and gave birth to one kitten from a caracal, which looked very similar to a wild lynx and had obvious features of its exotic father: fluffy tassels on the ears, large soft paws, and bright eyes with a dark outline. After this incident, such experiments were not carried out for several years.
Then, in 2005, in the USA, one felinologist tried to repeat the experience of the Moscow Zoo and crossed an Abyssinian cat with a caracal. As a result, kittens were born, but they could not have offspring. For several years, an American breeder received several individuals of caracats, and then ceased operations.
It was in Russia that they began to successfully breed caracats. The owner of the Krasnodar nursery “KATALEYA” Irina Nazarova 2007 has been breeding and seeking the development of the breed. At the moment it is one of the largest caracat nurseries in the world. The breeder regularly receives F1 and F2 generation kittens and works to improve the breed. She organized the first caracat exhibition. And yet the breed is rare. In total, there are about 70 individuals of the F1 type and 15 individuals of the F2 type in Russia.
There are several generations of caracats: F1 has 50% lynx admixture, it is a direct descendant of caracal and domestic cats. F1 is the most valuable representative of the breed, as they have the most pronounced appearance of a wild cat. The physique is large, and wild habits appear. F2 has 25% lynx admixture and is a descendant of F1 generation cats and a domestic cat. F3 16% of the wild breed genotype, the mating of an F2 female with a domestic cat. These cats retain the appearance of a lynx, but not so obvious. The character is calm and gentle. F4 6% of the wild breed genotype, the result of crossing an F3 female with a domestic cat. These individuals have only some external features from the lynx, but their character is very calm.
Description of the caracat
These are animals with an exotic appearance, up to a meter in length and up to half a meter tall at the withers. Caracat has a strong, elongated, and muscular body, strong and high paws with dark pads, a long neck, and a convex, wide forehead. The lower jaw is well-defined, and the eyes are almond-shaped, large and expressive, thanks to the dark eyelids. Nose pinkish with black or brown rim, black tear streak. The ears are large and long with dark tassels. This is the main feature of the breed. Coat color is of two types: brown with a red or chocolate sheen, and silver. Lighter color on chest and belly. The coat is short, soft, shiny, and dense, with a thick undercoat. The fur is considered hypoallergenic for humans and has no cat smell. Caracats can’t meow. They yelp more like dogs.
Despite their exotic roots, caracats are affectionate, intelligent, friendly, and accommodating. They can easily be kept in an apartment if you give them physical activity. They get used to the daily routine and will not interfere with the owners at night. However, they do not like loneliness, they prefer to be with the owner, and accompany him in household chores. May be wary of strangers, and protect your territory. However, they are not aggressive, but playful and curious. They have a highly developed hunting instinct, so they need long active games and walks on a leash. Caracats also easily endure car trips and travel. Cats of this breed get along with children and other animals and behave quite friendly, except for birds and rodents.
- WoolWool does not need special care. During molting, it is recommended to comb your pet with a rubber massage mitt or comb for short hair every day. At other times, the procedure can be carried out 1-2 times a week.Caracat cats are not afraid of water, on the contrary, they love water procedures and turn them into a game. Bathing should be done every 3 months.
- EarsIt is advisable to wipe the ears of the animal once every two weeks. First, remove dust and dirt with a dry cotton pad, and then soak a clean pad in warm water and wipe your ears again. Remember not to clean your ears with a cotton swab, as this can damage your ear canals and eardrum.
- clawsThe pet will need to purchase a strong scratching post, as well as shorten the claws 2-3 times a month using a clipper. With proper upbringing, the cat will not scratch and spoil the furniture.
- EyesDark plaque in the corners of the eyes should be regularly cleaned with a cotton pad dipped in a decoction of herbs or tea. For purulent discharge and tearing, contact your veterinarian.
Conditions of detention Caracat
Do not forget that the caracat is primarily a large exotic animal. More money needs to be allocated for its maintenance than for an ordinary animal. And he deserves more attention.
- Organize space for active games
- A cat can live in an apartment with enough physical activity. Organize multi-level zones, and equip them with toys without small parts and feathers. The more entertainment the cat has, the less likely it is that the furniture and things in your apartment will be damaged. After all, when the cat is bored, she will play with what she will come across.
- natural food
- Caracat cannot be fed with purchased dry food due to the characteristics of the stomach. Natural food suits them: lean fresh meat (chicken, turkey, beef, rabbit meat), lean fish, eggs, and vegetables. Kittens up to two years old are given fermented milk products (cottage cheese, kefir, fermented baked milk). Small kittens can be given minced meat warmed to room temperature. Babies are fed three times a day, adults 1-2 times a day. It is forbidden to feed the caracat with fatty food from the table, sweet, fried, salty, or spicy. Do not give pork and boiled bones.
- Remember that cats of this breed eat more than other domestic cats. In terms of content, they are even compared with small dogs. The daily amount of food should be approximately 5-10% of the pet’s weight.
- Sustainable cat furniture and large toys
- Cats of this breed need to purchase stable and massive houses and scratching posts. Otherwise, they will quickly fall into disrepair. We advise you to pay attention to furniture for Maine Coons. The cat will also need a large litter box, so take care of that too.
- Regular walks on a leash
- These domestic lynxes are perfectly accustomed to a leash or harness and love to walk in the fresh air. Walking replaces active play. For walks, there will be no extra treatment for ticks and fleas in the form of sprays, drops, or a special collar.
- Lots of attention and communication
- These animals need to receive a lot of attention from the owner. They do not fit the schedule when a person is at home only in the morning and in the evening, because when the caracat are left alone, they run wild.
- Education from early childhood
- Caracats are well-trained, but they need to be educated from early childhood. From 3 months to accustom to a leash, scratching post, to communicate with people and other animals. You need to play a lot with kittens and accustom them to your schedule: we are awake during the day, and we sleep at night. Then you will have a harmonious life with an exotic cat.